Monday, February 20, 2012

A mouthful

I am very much at a loss for words lately. Even worse is that I have not picked up my camera in a long time. Soon that will end... I promise. I do want to say as I embark on year number 4, some things are gonna change. Last year I felt as though I barreled through without keeping a keen eye on my books. That is changing. This may be my passion but it is also my business, one I want to flourish both creatively and monetarily. I have been pouring over my numbers and I am prepped. Another thing is I am vowing to be more assertive with my wholesalers. There are some new sellers in the market and everyone should be on their toes. Last year I pulled at least 100 dahlias from one wholesaler, asking they hold until tomorrow for me, only to return to find some bigger hot shot scooped them up. They all play innocent. I mean how much money do you need to throw down to get some respect!? Also, no one better try to pass off old crappy ass flowers on me. Ain't happening. In fact while I'm at it - I will be more assertive with everyone in my life. You see, I suffered as many woman do of being too nice. I never wanted to offend, and I hate confrontation. Funny thing is I have no problem confronting my husband nor boyfriends from my past....hmm (misdirected frustration perhaps?) Anyway, I've finally learned  there is a difference between being aggressive and being assertive. So for 2012 I will be simply stating my needs and limits whether you are a wholesaler, client, planner, editor, PTA- chair-fundraising-committee-class-parent, family member or even my child. That is the rule.

As for design, I am looking towards a cleaner aesthetic. Still natural and lush but less wild. I want to love, love, LOVE everything that comes out the studio. I dream in neutrals but I crave the saturated. The only thing that keeps me waking at god forsaken hours is the desire to see my ideas come life. Therefore, in order to quality control and not burn out I have decided to do less events. A couple a weekend, no marathon deliveries, no craziness. It's not for me. I have a growing collection of ceramic flowers that threatens to take over my time and brain. Plus I really want to start a new blog on a completely meaningless project. I can't help thinking about art, again. But that's another story. Jeez, I guess I did have something to say.

As for pretty pictures today - I show you some of what I have been pinning. Lots of inspiration out in the world wide web. Click image for source.

How's that for a flower delivery?
 something about these funny little pots...I keep coming back to. Maybe it's that cactus plant that looks like a tongue? Photo by Nancy Neil
tree puddle. I like the idea of finding unintentional art.

5 comments:

Bow Street Flowers said...

A perfect flower delivery. Thanks.

Jen said...

As a business owner I relate to what you are saying. Love your inspiration photos!

flowers on my table said...

Good luck with the assertion, I need some of that too! Love your pics, especially the first. Love Linda x

~My Fleur Journey~ said...

I hear what you are saying, the wholesalers here are the same! As a newbie in biz, I will never measure up to hotel clients or big florists who order large quantities every single week, but doesn't mean I should get crap flowers! And I love your wildness (in flowers), but am sure whatever road you take, your flowers are still going to be stunning!

kat flower said...

preach d.

btw, love 'l I dream in neutrals but I crave the saturated.' so perfect.

x