Friday, November 4, 2011

Autumn

Early November to non-floral workers means high autumn. You know, harvest time...the colors, the smells, the bounty. Thanksgiving is approaching and it's one of my favorite holidays. But to us flower industry folks the season is actually ending. Dahlias, local hydrangea, cockscomb, sedum, these lovelies are already winding down at the market. The wintergreens and bulb flowers are appearing. Next weeks wedding will actually have peonies (yay!). So good-bye autumn flowers. We love you and see you next year.




 

6 comments:

Kae said...

I always love seeing your posts come up in my reader. Such beautiful flowers. I can't believe I'll still be seeing peonies in fall thanks to you!

Bow Street Flowers said...

So pretty, Denise.

flwrjane said...

That bouquet with the cafe au lait dahlia has just filled my need for a cigarette.

I'll have a dahlia instead, thanks.

And thanks for the encouraging words.

xo Jane

Janet said...

Such a lovely post!

reub-envision said...

your arrangements are spectacular
~ I have been scrolling through page after page of your blog.
Thank you for the inspiration.
I will be back
happy weekend

flowers on my table said...

Hi Denise, what beautiful arrangements. We don't get Peonies here at this time of year. I do love them, they are such a luxurious flower.

Thankyou so much for your visit and kind remarks. I am indeed well, thankyou. I have been thinking about you ever since my last visit here. I think I was a little shocked to find that someone as successful as you would have doubts and questions about your career and life.

I do flowers in a very small way compared with you. I have no overheads and rely solely on word of mouth. I sometimes feel guilty about not pushing myself harder to get my name 'out there', but actually it quite suits me, the way it is. I can paint furniture when my daughter is at school, do weddings at the weekends, when my husband is at home. I don't know how fortunate I am, I think! I hope you are working out what is right for you. It is really hard to get the right balance, when you are creative.Much love to you, Linda x